Christmas Mini Retreat
Who's ready for a little Christmas crafting with Vickie?
Unwrap the joy of the season (and the included curated supply kits) by joining host Vickie Howell for a YarnYAY! Christmas Virtual Mini-Retrea! During this six-hour experience, grab your festive mug and join Vickie for a delightful coffee talk, as she sets the scene for a day bursting with yarny goodness. Dive into the holiday spirit with Mini Tree Skirt Edgings in Workshop 1, mastering the art of Knit Picot Bind-off with Beads and Crochet Edging with Beads. Button Loops take center stage in Workshop 2, where you'll discover the charm of Hand-stitched Button Loops and the Crochet Chain Button Loops. Take a quick, 30-minute lunch break before diving into Workshop 3: Embellish with Embroidery. Get whimsical with Tassel Tree Embroidery, adorn your creations with Poinsettia Embroidery, and explore Chain Stitch Stripes for that extra touch. Sip on a cup of Peppermint Hot Cocoa during the break to recharge. In Workshop 4, create charming Stitch Marker Ornaments that double as decorations and practical stitch markers. After a well-deserved Happy Hour, revel in your creative accomplishments and indulge in a Holiday Foot Mask (and Hand Mask, if you've finished stitching) while sipping on a Holiday Pomegranate Prosecco (or mocktail version) cocktail. The retreat may end, but the magic of your handmade creations will last. Merry making to all!
We're only opening this up to 30 students + kits max. Price includes kit + 6-hour retreat. Click the details tab to learn more.
Please note that due to kit shipping time constraints, this retreat is open to U.S. and Canadian participants only.
Hosted by our founder, Vickie Howell the 2nd thematic, mini-retreat will take place via Zoom on Saturday, December 9, 2023 from 11amCT-5pmCT.
*Please note that there is homework for this retreat that must be done in order to get the full value of the time spent. It will be provided to students by the day after (U.S.) Thanksgiving. If you can get it done, you are absolutely welcome to work on it during the retreat, though, and just watch the other demonstrations.
It will be a day of stitching together, hanging out, and getting our kitschmas crafting on! See below for an overview of the workshops, projects, and techniques we'll be covering.
Welcome: Coffee talk
- Introduce yourself (if you want, no pressure).
- Vickie to go over what's in everyone's kit, and share what to expect today, and also the inside scoop on how this mini-retreat came together
Workshop 1: Mini Tree Skirt Edgings
- Part one: Knit Picot Bind-off with Beads
- Part two: Crochet Edging with Beads
Workshop 2: Button Loops
- Part one: Hand-stitched Button Loop
- Part two: Crochet Chain Button Loop
- Part three: Sewing on Button (if time allows)
Break for 30-Minute Lunch
Workshop 3: Embellish with Embroidery
- Part one: Tassel Tree Embroidery
- Part two: Poinsettia Embroidery
- Part three: Chain stitch stripes, etc. (if time allows)
15-minute Peppermint Hot Cocoa Break
- Part three (if time allows): Embroidered Stripes & Fillers
Workshop 4: Stitch Marker Ornaments
- Simple assembly of holiday charms and findings that will work as both ornaments for a small (18"-24"), tabletop tree or as stitch markers.
- Cocktail or mocktail
- Stitch-along any remaining embellishments
- Optional: Apply Holiday Foot Masks (& Hand Masks if you're finished stitching, otherwise save that one for later!)
*Subject to change slightly based on time and design choices.
Before the retreat, you'll receive a box full of goodies needed for the day's activities. These kits will ship the 3rd week of November.
- Sweater Print Project Tote
- Buffalo Plaid Wristlet Notions Bag
- 2 balls Wool & the Gang Shiny Happy Cotton (color: Lipstick)
- At least 3 mini balls of yarn for embroidery
- 1 skein, YarnYAY! On the Daily (color: Me Time)
- Charms, Jingle Bells & findings to make 12 holiday charm stitch markers/ornaments
- 24 Wooden Beads (for edging)
- Size B crochet hook (for beading)
- YarnYAY! Commemorative Wooden Button
- Single serving vial, Candy Cane Hot Cocoa Mix
- Foot Mask
- Hand Mask
- Single serving vial, Holiday Pomegranate Smash Cocktail/Mocktail Mix
- Six hours of virtual instruction and community hangout time.
- Pattern pdf for tree skirt homework, edging instructions, and embroidered tree/flower stitches.
- Recordings of tutorials from the retreat session
- Link to Vickie's "Making Christmas" Spotify Playlist (listen while on mute during the retreat, or anytime you want to get in the spirit of the season!)
RECOMMENDED ADDITIONAL MATERIALS:
- 18"-24" Tabletop Tree. We're using this one. (You don't have to have this at the actual retreat, if you don't want, but the skirt and charms will be for it.)
- Size 4/3.5 mm circular needle, at least 24" long OR Size H/5 mm crochet hook
- Tapestry needle
- Sewing needle & thread (for button only)
- Needle nose or jewelry pliers
- Access to hot water for cocoa
- Sparkling water, ginger ale, OR Prosecco (or any sparkling wine)