Halloween Mini Retreat
We're thrilled to announce our very first virtual, thematic mini-retreat!
Are you a spooky stitcher ready to howl at the moon with cohorts? Then join us for our Virtual Halloween Mini Retreat! With your host, Vickie Howell, you'll learn witchy knit, crochet, and embellishing techniques. Plus, you'll get a creepy kit full of goodies and supplies to work your magic with. When all is said and done you'll have a screamful of stitch markers, at least one cobweb embroidered piece, an Ouija Board Pillow project (WIP), and some cackling memories to last a lifetime!
We're only opening this up to 50 students + kits max. Price includes kit + retreat. Click the details tab to learn more.
Please note that due to kit shipping time constraints, this retreat is open to U.S. and Canada participants only.
Hosted by our founder, Vickie Howell, the very first YarnYAY!, thematic, mini-retreat will take place via Zoom on Saturday, October 7, 2023 from 11amCT-5pmCT.
It will be a day of stitching together, hanging out, and wallowing in out love for Halloween. See below for an overview of the workshops, projects, and techniques we'll be covering.
Welcome: Coffee talk
- Introduce yourself (if you want, no pressure).
- Vickie to go over what's in everyone's kit, and share what to expect today, and also the inside scoop on how this mini-retreat came together
Workshop 1: Halloween Embroidery on Knits
- Embroider a Spiderweb on knit or crocheted squares or optional wrist warmers (also made from squares). Small amount of prep homework to be assigned prior to retreat.
Workshop 2: Make Your Own Halloween-themed Stitch Markers
- Attach charms to jump rings and bulb pins for this quickie, creepy craft!
Break for 30-Minute Lunch
Workshop 3: Knit or Crochet Edging on a Spooky Pillow
- Part one: Blanket stitch foundation
15-minute Pumpkin Spice Tea Break
- Part two: Knit Eyelet Triangles Edging or crochet Bobbles Edging
- Part three: Attach edging to pillow cover. (Overview only)
- Cocktail or mocktail
- Stitch-along on our pillow edgings
- Optional: Apply Glow Face Mask (what's Halloween without a mask?)
Before the retreat, you'll receive a box full of goodies needed for the day's activities. These kits will ship the 3rd week of September.
- Pumpkin Small Project Purse
- 1 ball YarnYAY! On the Daily (color: Morning Coffee)
- Mini ball of white yarn (for embroidery)
- Tapestry needle
- Charms & findings to make 5 spooky stitch markers
- Ouija Pillow Cover
- 1 hank black embroidery floss (for pillow edging foundation)
- 1, 50 gr hank, Oink Pigments Mystic in color: All hail the pumpkin King
- Single serving, Pumpkin Spice Tea (caffeine free)
- Moon Berry Sheet Mask
- Single serving, Blood Orange Mai Tai Mix
- Pattern pdf for both knit & crochet edgings, and embroidered web stitch
- Recordings of tutorials from the retreat session
- Link to Vickie's "This is Halloween" Spotify Playlist (listen while on mute during the retreat, or anytime you want to get in the spirit of the season!)
RECOMMENDED ADDITIONAL MATERIALS:
- Size 5/3.75 needles (straight or circulars, at least 20" long) OR Size G/4mm crochet hook
- 12" x 20" pillow insert (not needed for retreat, but before you want to finish your pillow)
- Piece of chalk or white tailor's pencil
- Needle nose or jewelry pliers
- Sparkling Water
- Rum (for cocktail option only)